BRINGING CAKE BACK
Some events, like a picnic or kids soccer practice call for ice cream or cupcakes. Other celebrations deserve something more luxurious than just cupcakes. I love making cakes, but what you don't know is that you will love making them too. I love making a delicious homemade cake with a simple design for everything from my daughters' birthdays, potlucks to intimate dinner parties. As I was growing up I remember my mom always putting together a simple cake for company. A homemade cake is always a "WOW" factor because it's creative, but no one makes them anymore! And aren't you just tired of cupcakes?
The most amazing part is that now you don't need to be a professional to decorate a beautiful cake!
LET'S BRING CAKE BACK!
Did you know that you can make a fresh, homemade, flavorful cake from scratch with ingredients you probably already have in your pantry? And if you don't have time to make it from scratch, you can still create a beautiful cake that will impress your guests. It's time to DIY cake!
As a professional cake designer I have learned a few tricks to make even the most simple cake look professional and incredible. Here, I will share with you simple recipes and decorating tips, some mine, some borrowed and learned, to help you fall in love with the joy of creating cake. So the next time you are asked to bring something to a pot luck or party, think CAKE!
1. Height: Make sure your cake is at least three layers high so that you get a nice tall professional looking cake. It looks better when you have a small cake that is tall, rather than a larger cake that is short. I try to make my cakes at least 4" high.
2. Size: I think the perfect size for a cake is an 8" three layer round. It feeds about 20-25 depending on the height.
3. Clean Edges: Get your ProFroster ready! What makes a cake look elegant and professional is having straight edges even with minimal or no decorations.
If you have time to make cake from scratch, these are amazing yet simple recipes:
1. Chocolate Cake: Hershey's Chocolate Cake if you size the recipe to 1.5, its the perfect amount for three 8" cakes. TIP: substitute the 1.5 cups of boiling water to 1.5 cups of hot coffee it brings out the chocolate flavor even more.
2. Vanilla Cake: Add a pinch is a great blog for homemade recipes and she has a great vanilla cake recipe. The recipe as is, is the perfect amount of batter for a three layer 8" cake.
3. Creamy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting: This one is my recipe and it is enough to frost and cover an 8" three layer cake.
1 lb. of unsalted butter room temperature
6 cups of powdered sugar (sifted)
6 teaspoons of good vanilla extract
a. Beat butter and sugar until completely incorporated.
b. Add vanilla and beat on high for a good 4 minutes. Stop and scrape down sides occasionally.
c. Beat until very pale in color.
Now we get to the fun part! Below are some design ideas that are simple, elegant and easy to do! I used the same cake to create these variations to show you that there are endless possibilities. You can combine several of these designs into one cake, but I wanted to highlight a simple cake with little or no effort.
Check back as I will be adding more decorating ideas!